If your request cannot be authenticated, you will get an error message explaining the reason.
<Message>AWS was not able to validate the provided access credentials</Message>
If you get an authentication error then one of the following is probably true:
- You are not signed up for the Alexa Web Information service. Even if you already have an Amazon Web Services account, you must separately sign up for the Alexa Web Information service at http://aws.amazon.com/awis
- Your credit card is invalid or expired.
- You have not URL encoded your Timestamp and Signature values. If you are seeing intermittent authorization errors, this is the most likely problem. You should not see any "+" signs in your Signature, for example.
- You are not generating the Signature correctly. Please see the code samples.
- The clock on the computer making the requests is not set correctly.