Menu
Amazon QuickSight
User Guide

Working with Bar Charts

Amazon QuickSight supports the following types of bar charts, with either horizontal or vertical orientation:

  • Single-measure

  • Multi-measure

  • Clustered

  • Stacked

  • Stacked 100 percent

Use the horizontal or vertical bar chart visual types to create single-measure, multi-measure or clustered bar charts. Use a single-measure bar chart to show values for a single measure for a dimension, a multi-measure bar chart to show values for a two or more measures for a dimension, or a clustered bar chart to show values for a single measure for a dimension that is then grouped by another dimension, for example sales total by state, grouped by region.

Use any of the stacked bar chart visual types to create stacked bar charts. A stacked bar chart is similar to a clustered bar chart in that it displays a measure for two dimensions, but instead of clustering bars for each child dimension by the parent dimension, it displays one bar per parent dimension and uses color blocks within the bars to show the relative values of each item in the child dimension.

Amazon QuickSight offers both regular stacked bar charts and stacked 100 percent bar charts. A regular stacked bar chart differs from a stacked 100 percent bar chart in that the color blocks reflect the value of each item in the child dimension relative to the total for the measure, while a stacked 100 percent bar chart shows them by their percentage.

For example, the following stacked bar chart shows that total sales in the southern region were $2735.51, with $1474.96 from Texas and $1260.55 from Florida.

The following stacked 100 percent bar chart shows this same data by percentage, which is 100 percent for the southern region. The color block for Florida represents the approximately 46 percent of revenue from that state. The color block for Texas represents the remaining 54 percent.