Attaches an Amazon EBS volume to a running or stopped instance and exposes it to the instance with the specified device name.
Encrypted Amazon EBS volumes may only be attached to instances that support Amazon EBS encryption. For more information, see Amazon EBS Encryption in the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud User Guide .
For a list of supported device names, see Attaching an Amazon EBS Volume to an Instance . Any device names that aren't reserved for instance store volumes can be used for Amazon EBS volumes. For more information, see Amazon EC2 Instance Store in the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud User Guide .
If a volume has an AWS Marketplace product code:
- The volume can only be attached as the root device of a stopped instance.
- You must be subscribed to the AWS Marketplace code that is on the volume.
- The configuration (instance type, operating system) of the instance must support that specific AWS Marketplace code. For example, you cannot take a volume from a Windows instance and attach it to a Linux instance.
- AWS Marketplace product codes are copied from the volume to the instance.
For more information about Amazon EBS volumes, see Attaching Amazon EBS Volumes in the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud User Guide .
- request (AttachVolumeRequest)
- Attach Volume request