Attaches one or more tags, each consisting of a key name and a value, to the specified secret. Tags are part of the secret's overall metadata, and are not associated with any specific version of the secret. This operation only appends tags to the existing list of tags. To remove tags, you must use UntagResource
The following basic restrictions apply to tags:
If you use tags as part of your security strategy, then adding or removing a tag can change permissions. If successfully completing this operation would result in you losing your permissions for this secret, then the operation is blocked and returns an Access Denied error. Minimum permissions
- Maximum number of tags per secret—50
- Maximum key length—127 Unicode characters in UTF-8
- Maximum value length—255 Unicode characters in UTF-8
- Tag keys and values are case sensitive.
- Do not use the
aws: prefix in your tag names or values because it is reserved for AWS use. You can't edit or delete tag names or values with this prefix. Tags with this prefix do not count against your tags per secret limit.
- If your tagging schema will be used across multiple services and resources, remember that other services might have restrictions on allowed characters. Generally allowed characters are: letters, spaces, and numbers representable in UTF-8, plus the following special characters: + - = . _ : / @.
To run this command, you must have the following permissions:
- To remove one or more tags from the collection attached to a secret, use UntagResource.
- To view the list of tags attached to a secret, use DescribeSecret.