Records a heartbeat for the lifecycle action associated with the specified token or instance. This extends the timeout by the length of time defined using PutLifecycleHook
This step is a part of the procedure for adding a lifecycle hook to an Auto Scaling group:
- (Optional) Create a Lambda function and a rule that allows CloudWatch Events to invoke your Lambda function when Auto Scaling launches or terminates instances.
- (Optional) Create a notification target and an IAM role. The target can be either an Amazon SQS queue or an Amazon SNS topic. The role allows Auto Scaling to publish lifecycle notifications to the target.
- Create the lifecycle hook. Specify whether the hook is used when the instances launch or terminate.
- If you need more time, record the lifecycle action heartbeat to keep the instance in a pending state.
- If you finish before the timeout period ends, complete the lifecycle action.
For more information, see Auto Scaling Lifecycle
in the Auto Scaling User Guide