Creates or updates a lifecycle hook for the specified Auto Scaling group.
Lifecycle hooks let you create solutions that are aware of events in the Auto Scaling instance lifecycle, and then perform a custom action on instances when the corresponding lifecycle event occurs.
This step is a part of the procedure for adding a lifecycle hook to an Auto Scaling group:
- (Optional) Create a launch template or launch configuration with a user data script that runs while an instance is in a wait state due to a lifecycle hook.
- (Optional) Create a Lambda function and a rule that allows Amazon EventBridge to invoke your Lambda function when an instance is put into a wait state due to a lifecycle hook.
- (Optional) Create a notification target and an IAM role. The target can be either an Amazon SQS queue or an Amazon SNS topic. The role allows Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling to publish lifecycle notifications to the target.
- Create the lifecycle hook. Specify whether the hook is used when the instances launch or terminate.
- If you need more time, record the lifecycle action heartbeat to keep the instance in a wait state using the RecordLifecycleActionHeartbeat API call.
- If you finish before the timeout period ends, send a callback by using the CompleteLifecycleAction API call.
For more information, see Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling lifecycle hooks
in the Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling User Guide
If you exceed your maximum limit of lifecycle hooks, which by default is 50 per Auto Scaling group, the call fails.
You can view the lifecycle hooks for an Auto Scaling group using the DescribeLifecycleHooks
API call. If you are no longer using a lifecycle hook, you can delete it by calling the DeleteLifecycleHook